- Reminder: RI Earned Paid Sick Leave Law Effective July 1 June 20, 2018Effective July 1, 2018, Rhode Island employers generally must provide paid or unpaid earned sick leave to each employee, depending on employer size.
- New Minimum Wage Rates Effective July 1 June 19, 2018Effective July 1, 2018, the minimum wage will increase in several states and cities.
- Reminder: OSHA Form 300A Electronic Submission Deadline is July 1 June 18, 2018Employers are reminded that they must electronically submit information from their 2017 Forms 300A to OSHA by July 1.
- Form 5500 Filing Deadline for Many Health Plans is July 31 June 11, 2018Group health plan administrators are reminded that Form 5500, Annual Return/Report of Employee Benefit Plan, must be filed with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) by the last day of the seventh month after the plan year ends. For calendar-year plans, that due date falls on July 31.
- New Hampshire Amends Wage Payment Timing Law June 7, 2018Under a new law, effective July 29, 2018, New Hampshire employers generally must pay wages within:
- Form I-9 Audits Up Dramatically Since October June 7, 2018From October 1, 2017-May 4, 2018, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) conducted 2,282 Form I-9 audits, up from 1,360 audits from October 1, 2016-September 30, 2017. Given this dramatic increase, employers should take a moment to ensure that their Form I-9 compliance practices meet federal requirements.
- New Expiration Date for Several Model FMLA Notices is June 30, 2018 June 1, 2018The U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division has extended the effective date of several model FMLA notices through June 30, 2018.
- NM: Minimum Wage Rates for Santa Fe City and County Increased May 31, 2018The minimum wage rate for the City of Santa Fe, New Mexico has increased to $11.40 per hour. Additionally, the minimum wage rate for Santa Fe County has increased to $11.40 per hour ($3.41 per hour for tipped employees). These increased rates are currently in effect.
- Connecticut Adopts Salary History Inquiry Ban May 31, 2018Effective January 1, 2019, a new law generally prohibits Connecticut employers from inquiring about a prospective employee's wage and salary history unless it is voluntarily disclosed.
- South Carolina Enacts Pregnancy Accommodation Law May 25, 2018South Carolina has enacted a new law that prohibits employers with 15 or more employees from discriminating against employees with medical needs arising from pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.